Visit Pensacola to Host Inaugural Pensacola Discovery Days Celebration
What: To celebrate America’s First Settlement, Visit Pensacola is hosting the inaugural Pensacola Discovery Days Celebration. Taking place at the Pensacola Visitors Information Center, August 14-15, 2018, event guests will be treated to a Pensacola storytelling session by famed historian John Appleyard and a discover Pensacola trolley tour with Beach Bum Trolleys. Some trolley stops included will be Plaza De Luna, Perfect Plain Brewing Co., and De Luna Winery for a complimentary toast to Pensacola.
Additionally, site activations at the Pensacola Visitors Information Center will include light refreshments, displays from the Destination Archeology Resource Center and the Perdido Bay Indian Tribe, children’s activities and more. Activities will begin at 9:30 a.m. and conclude at 1 p.m. each day. Trolley tickets are $10. Otherwise, the event is free to the public.
When: Tuesday, Aug. 14 – Wednesday, Aug. 15 (various media opportunities listed below)
Who: Visit Pensacola staff, Pensacola Historian John Appleyard, members of the Destination Archeology Resource Center, members of the Perdido Bay Tribe, and event guests.
Why: Founded in August of 1559, Pensacola lays claim to America’s first settlement. Pensacola Discovery Days were established to celebrate the city’s grand history and to educate the community and its visitors.
EVENTS & MEDIA TIMELINE:
Tuesday, Aug. 14 - 15
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. Pensacola storytelling with historian John Appleyard
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Discover Pensacola Trolley Tour, stops included will be:
- Plaza De Luna, Historic Pensacola, Andrew Jackson Square, Belmont-Devilliers, and General Daniel "Chappie James" James Aviation Discovery Park
- Craft beer tastings at Perfect Plain Brewing Co. along with a history lesson on Rachel Jackson's letter on Pensacola
- Tour and Wine Tasting at DeLuna Winery
- 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Pensacola Discovery Days Celebration. Enjoy light refreshments, shop locally made goods, and take home a complimentary Pensacola souvenir.
About Visit Pensacola
Visit Pensacola is the destination management organization for Escambia County which includes Pensacola, Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key. With over 450 years of rich history and 18 miles of sugar-white sand beaches bordered by the emerald-green waters of the Gulf of Mexico, visitors from all over the world are lured to our pristine shores every year. Visit Pensacola supports the community vision of tourism by serving as the central body responsible for building tourism as an economic engine for our community through leadership, connection, collaboration and communication.