For a recipe, I turned to the width and breadth of human knowledge – my smartphone. I found what looked like a simple enough recipe and simplified it a little more for my needs and taste. Here’s the recipe I used:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions (white portion)
- ¼ Cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Cup chopped spinach
- ¼ Cup dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ Cup grated Swiss Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 12 Oysters on the half shell
- Rock salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat. Stir in garlic for about 1 minute. Don’t let garlic burn. -- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mix panko with half of garlic/butter mixture, olive oil, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Return remaining garlic/butter mixture to heat, add spinach and onion. Cook until wilted. - ---- Deglaze the pan with the wine; cook down. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Fill cast iron skillet, casserole dish or other oven safe pan with even rock salt to serve as a base for the oysters in shells. Place oysters in pan. Spoon spinach mixture evenly over each oyster, followed by panko mixture.
- Bake 13-15 minutes.