Located at 140 W Government Street, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church was built exclusively for the use of Creoles and African-Americans in Pensacola. Prior to 1892, black and white Catholics attended St. Michael’s Church. During the 1880s, a daughter of a freed slave, Mrs. Mercedes Sunday Ruby, organized the St. Joseph’s Society, which helped lobby and raise money for the construction of a new church. In 1894, a brick Gothic Revival church was built that had seating for 600 people. The brick exterior would later be covered in stucco and scored to resemble large stone blocks.