200 Block E Zaragoza
Historic Pensacola encompasses 8 1/2 acres and 28 properties, 11 of which are open to the public. While touring the site, you will see a range of architectural styles, including, Mediterranean Revival, Renaissance Revival, Greek Revival, Classical Revival, French Creole, and Folk Victorian. In addition to the wonderful architecture, you will also see these properties interpreted in a variety of periods, such as Colonial, Victorian and 1920s Pensacola, through furnishings and other artifacts from the UWF Historic Trust collection of more than 150,000 artifacts of historical and antiquarian interest to the City of Pensacola, Escambia County and West Florida. Come interact with the living history interpreters who bring history to life.
Built around 1805, the Julee Cottage was named for one of its earliest owners, Julee Panton, a free woman of color. The cottage is an early example of urban Creole architecture in Pensacola, featuring a saltbox shape and built to the sidewalk orientation. The Cottage represents the home of a working class African-American family during the era of Reconstruction. This building is part of the Historic Pensacola Village and is a stop on the African-American Heritage Trail.
Pictured | Julee Cottage, 214 W Zaragoza Street 1927, UWF Historic Trust
The Dorothy Walton House was originally located at 137 West Romana Street near the southeast corner of Romana and Barcelona Streets. It is suggested that either Gabriel Hernandez or Madame Folch, wife of Vincente Folch y Juan, Spanish Governor of West Florida from 1796 until 1811, constructed the house during the early nineteenth century. Euphrasine Hinnard, a wealthy free woman of color, purchased the house in 1812. This one story house, typical of the early Gulf Coast cottage style, has a central-hall, dogtrot plan with two rooms on either side of a wide central hallway, and large covered porches on the north and south facades.
The Dorothy Walton Foundation had a part in the history of the Walton House because it has been reported that Dorothy Camber Walton, widow of George Walton a signer of the Declaration of Independence, lived in the home during the 1820s. It is believed that Ms. Walton lived in the house from 1825 until her death in 1832. Her son, George Walton, Jr. served as Secretary of the State of Florida and Acting Governor of the Territory from 1821 until 1822 after Andrew Jackson left Pensacola. The home is named after Ms. Walton and her son as a result of the family’s impact on Pensacola’s history.
The Walton Cottage is a stop on the African-American Heritage Trail.
Just inside the Historic Pensacola Village are two Colonial Archaeological Trail stops, the first being the British Well. This well appears on British maps as early as 1778, though it could date to the First Spanish period. The well served as a water source from the late 1700s to around 1820, when it was filled in with trash.
The second stop is the British Government House. This building was the second-largest structure within the fort. Purposed for housing the British governor, the structure was three stories tall with balconies on all sides.
Just off the Trail: Museum of Commerce Mural
Facing Main Street on the south side of the Museum of Commerce, is a mural: A View of Pensacola in West Florida, George Gauld, c.1765. The maritime history of Pensacola is epitomized in this 1765 view of Pensacola by George Gauld. The original engraving is archived at the Library of Congress. This colorized version by local artist, Dave Edwards, was commissioned by the University of West Florida Archaeology Institute.
Pictured | A View of Pensacola in West Florida, George Gauld, c.1765, UWF Archaeology Institute
The Coulson House was built in 1890 as a rental property by Kate and Edward Coulson. Kate married Edward at Christ Church in 1882 and they had two children. Edward was a butcher by trade, but died in 1896. Kate continued to run the business and invest in other properties until her death in 1937. The Coulson House has been the home of the African-American Heritage Society for over two-decades. Their mission is to preserve, promote, educate and integrate African American history, heritage, culture and diversity in Pensacola and the Greater Gulf Coast Region through education and the humanities, and to continue to lead the area in supporting and promoting Cultural Tourism in Northwest Florida.