The Barkely House was once home to George W. Barkley, a prominent Pensacola businessman of the early 1800s. George Barkley, born in London, England in 1793, immigrated to the United States and became a naturalized citizen in 1819. Shortly after, he was appointed Customs Inspector of Pensacola, and by 1822, he was married to Clara Garnier. By 1835, Barkley was considered one of the wealthiest men in Pensacola.
The Barkley House is the oldest masonry structure in Pensacola. The exterior of the house is built with solid brick walls covered in stucco to resemble stone. The one and a half story home was built on tall brick piers allowing the main level of the home to be raised high enough off the ground for storage, air circulation, and protection from flooding. This type of construction is called a “high house” and was popular during the early eighteenth century.
Today, the Barkley House is a popular venue for weddings, receptions and other events enticing visitors to take in the beautiful view while reflecting on the rich past of such a well preserved piece of Pensacola history.